Every tenant and homeowner eventually needs to deal with ants and other insects. Terro Ant Killer has been one of the most popular ant killers on the market for many years as a means of addressing this issue.
Terro is enticing to dogs, and cats, like ants, are attracted to the sweet liquid and texture comparable to maple syrup. Although, it is not generally harmful, especially as dogs are resilient animals. However, if they consume enough of it, they may experience toxic symptoms, including vomiting and diarrhea.
In our guide, you can learn more about the ingredients of Terro components, any alternatives, and the effects on humans and animals. By the end, you’ll better understand the ant killer or the Terro product, also known as sodium tetraborate decahydrate, that helps eliminate ant infestations. (Read Does Irish Spring Soap Keep Snakes Away)
Is Boric Acid The Same As Borax?
Borax and boric acid are two separate chemicals. Borax is a mineral salt of boric acid; however, their chemical compositions differ. Borax is a white, powdery mineral found in many household cleaners.
To get rid of ants in the home, TERRO indoor ant baits are the best way to get rid of ants. In addition, it can be used for a spider problem as well. How ant baits function is straightforward. Borax is a natural substance with minimal toxicity, and Terro is not harmful to humans, but borax can cause death in most ant species.
It is the active ingredient of TERRO Ant Killer and TERRO Liquid Ant Baits. The pleasant liquid in the insect bait draws ant foragers from the colony, and they happily consume it where it will kill ants over several days.
Why Is Borax The Best Ant Killer?
The worker ant returns to the rest of the colony and starts spreading the ant bait. First, it will kill the worker ant by disrupting their digestive and nervous systems, where it starts killing the other ants in the colony and the queen. This delayed kill is required to give each foraging ant enough time to visit the bait many times and bring it back to the colony.
The ants leave a pheromone trail from the bait to the nest as they go, informing the other ants of the location of the food source. When using TERRO ant baits, a homeowner will initially witness more ants since the ants hungrily follow the trail to the bait.
It can take up to 10 days to work fully, causing paralysis and death in all the ants in the colony.
Is Terro Ant Killer Toxic to Humans?
Boric acid, which Terro Ant Killer includes, is highly toxic to ants. Although it may paralyze and kill ant populations, it is safe for humans. If used appropriately, Terro Ant Killer’s level of boric acid does not cause substantial harm to humans.
It is critical to seek medical attention if someone unintentionally consumes Terro Ant Killer. Even if there is little chance of suffering significant consequences, seeking advice from a medical professional or your local poison control center is advisable.
When asking for medical help, explaining any symptoms or discomfort the patient may feel, like gastrointestinal irritation or pain, is crucial. (Read Can Goats Eat Sweet Potato)
Will Indoor Ant Poison Terro Kill Cats and Other Pets?
Terro Ant Killer is a commonly used product to get rid of the ants indoors and outdoors. While it effectively eliminates ant infestations, many pet owners are concerned about its safety for their furry friends.
The primary active ingredient in Terro is sodium tetraborate decahydrate, commonly known as borax. Borax is not the same as boric acid, although it is chemically similar. Boric acid is typically more toxic to humans and animals, while borax is considered to have lower toxicity levels.
If you accidentally get Terro on your skin, washing the affected area thoroughly with soap and water is recommended. While the ingestion of Terro by humans or pets is not recommended, the amount typically ingested by accidental contact is usually minimal and unlikely to cause harm.
Your pet may experience vomiting or diarrhea if he consumes the plastic container. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you notice any symptoms of choking, including gasping, blue gums, pawing at the face, or if your pet becomes unconscious.
What Happens if A Human Ingests Terro Liquid Ant Bait?
So, what happens if a human swallows the ant’s poison? It’s essential to seek medical help immediately if Terro is mistakenly consumed in large quantities. An insecticide explicitly created to kill ants is called Terro Ant Killer. Borax, a frequent element in laundry boosters, is Terro’s significant active component.
Humans should not consume Terro, which may cause irritation and pain. Ingesting Terro in its liquid and granular forms, like the liquid ant bait and the liquid ant bait stations, can be dangerous. In addition, if the liquid bait gets into your eyes, seek medical attention if irritation persists.
It is best to speak to a medical professional or poison control center if you are unsure about the severity of the exposure or unintentionally consumed too much Terro. However, to dilute the acidic borax substance, quickly drink two to four cups of milk if you accidentally consume something to stop further absorption. (Read What Cant Goats Eat)
What To Do If You Get Terro On Your Skin?
You may experience mild irritation or burning sensations if Terro ant killer unintentionally gets on your skin. Ant must act quickly to prevent any potential harm. First, thoroughly cleanse the injured area with soap and water.
By doing so, you’ll be able to get the product off your skin and lower your risk of irritation in the future. It is wise to seek medical help if you observe persistent redness, swelling, or skin rashes. Even though dogs and small animals, like cats, are thought to be unaffected by Terro. It is essential to wipe the substance off your skin to prevent pets from unintentionally ingesting it, and it can cause skin irritation in some people.
What Happens If A Dog Eats Terro?
Regarding the question of what happens if a dog eats Terro, it is essential to note that the Terro ant killer products are not designed for animal consumption.
Being a popular ant killer, Terro is placed in an area where ants are a problem. As a result, be sure to store any items contaminated with Terro in a location inaccessible to children and dogs. Inhibiting access to Terro-treated areas will lessen the impact on the rest of the colony because ant colonies depend on a single food source.
The active ingredient in Terro liquid ant bait is borax, which has minimal toxicity to humans and pets when used as directed. However, taking precautions to prevent pets, especially cats, from ingesting Terro or other ant bait products is vital, as they can harm their health.
While Terro contains sodium tetraborate, also known as sodium borate, borax is the main active ingredient in Terro to kill the ants; it isn’t harmful to humans when used as directed.
In fact, Terro is among the top choices for effectively eliminating ants because of its sweet liquid formula and spray form options. However, keeping Terro out of reach of children and pets is always recommended to avoid accidental ingestion. (Read Best Weed Killer For Around Ponds)
What are the ingredients in Terro Ant Killer?
The ingredients in Terro Ant Killer may vary but commonly include borax, sugar, water, and other additives.
Is boric acid the same as borax?
No, boric acid and borax are different substances. Borax is a salt of boric acid, but they have other chemical properties.
Is Terro Ant Killer harmful to humans?
Terro Ant Killer can be harmful if ingested or if it comes into contact with the skin or eyes. It is essential to read and follow the product’s instructions and take necessary precautions.
Is Terro safe for pets and animals?
Terro Ant Killer is safe for pets and animals, including dogs. However, it contains ingredients that are toxic to them if ingested in large amounts. Ensure the ant poison is placed in areas where pets can’t reach it.
Will Terro kill cats?
Terro is the best ant killer, yet Terro is safe to use around cats and dogs. Even if your cat eats ant poison, it may cause some discomfort. Terro also may cause eye irritation, so seek medical attention from your vet.
What happens if someone accidentally ingests Terro?
Accidental ingestion of Terro Ant Killer can cause serious health issues. It is advised to seek immediate medical attention if this occurs.