If you’ve ever tried a variety of lawnmowers, you’ll undoubtedly concur that they work well to trim grass quickly. However, did you know that finding a lawn mower that will last a long time might be difficult?
In case you didn’t know, one of the things you need to consider when choosing a lawn mower is the engine. Although many trustworthy lawn mower engines are available, Honda and Briggs & Stratton are the leading producers.
Mowers powered by Honda engines are significantly more expensive than those powered by Briggs & Stratton engines. However, this isn’t the only difference between a Briggs and Stratton or a Honda engine. So, in our guide, we look at Briggs and Stratton Vs. Honda lawn mower engine, to see what does differ.
By the end, even if you aren’t doing professional landscaping work, you’ll want the best mower for yourself and your garden. (Read Overseeding Centipede With Bermuda)
Briggs & Stratton’s Lawn Mower Engine:
Stephen Foster Briggs and Harold M. Stratton established the Briggs & Stratton Corporation over a century ago, in 1908. Briggs & Stratton gasoline engines are made especially for use with walk-behind mowers, pressure washers, generators, and other machines using small to medium-sized engines.
The company started making cast-iron engines since they are famed for their durability. However, the Briggs & Stratton brand didn’t become well-known until it introduced its new lightweight aluminum engine in 1953.
Briggs & Stratton’s Best-Selling Lawn Mower Engines
Briggs & Stratton offer many engines, so here are the top 3 engines from this manufacturer.
- One of the best items created by the Briggs & Stratton Corporation is the EX series engine.
- To begin with, it has a “ReadyStart” for ride technology that makes starting the engine with a lawn mower simple.
- The EX series engine also features an anti-vibration system for the user to enjoy a smoother ride and more comfort on lawn tractors and riding mowers.
- Furthermore, the small engines pack a full-pressure lube system that helps eliminate wear.
- Additionally, the engine has the best torque-to-weight ratio in its class, which can lessen vibrations when using your lawn mower.
- The check-and-add technology that comes with the Stratton engine helps reduce the need for an oil and oil filter change.
- The technology makes it feasible by keeping the oil cool and clean while the lawn mower engine is running.
- Additionally, the EXi Series has a cutting-edge debris management system that removes grass and other particles to extend the life of the lawnmower engine.
- A full-pressure lube system for lessening wear, a “ReadyStart” riding technology, and a V-twin engine for more power, durability, and comfort are all features of the engine.
Briggs & Stratton Professional Series
- The overhead valve (OHV) design, one of the Professional Series engine’s distinguishing characteristics, makes the engine run faster and cooler while being fuel efficient.
- Additionally, it boasts cutting-edge grass and debris removal technology that maintains the engine’s cleanliness and durability.
- The Professional Series engine also includes single-cylinder and V-twin engines for endurance and power.
Advantages of Briggs and Stratton Mowers
Many enthusiasts value Briggs & Stratton’s lawnmower engines to cut grass perfectly. Here you can examine the benefits of these Briggs & Stratton engines.
In addition to having a solid reputation as an industry leaders, Briggs & Stratton engines are distinguished by the fact that they constantly incorporate cutting-edge technology. Your lawn mower engine will last longer if you take advantage of these options.
The anti-vibration system is one instance of cutting-edge technology that Briggs & Stratton offers in their engines. (Read Can You Spray Roundup On Wet Grass)
Because Briggs & Stratton provides a broad power range for its engines, the company is regarded for the dependability of its lawn mower engines. That guarantees that no matter the situation, you’ll always have enough power to chop through long grass with any model of potent engine.
High performance is another advantage of Briggs & Stratton-powered mower. In fact, the engine will provide you a great pace, making it simpler for you when cutting grass on any surface.
Instant starting technology
Another advantage is the simplicity with which Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engines can be started.
The “ReadyStart” for riding technology is one of the characteristics shared by many of Briggs & Stratton’s top engines, as was already mentioned. It makes it possible to use the electric start on your lawn mower motor without using a rope.
Briggs & Stratton’s Lawn Mower Engine Downsides
Like all mechanical devices, Briggs & Stratton engines have their share of problems. Sometimes the most frequent issue with Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engines, according to customer reviews, is that they occasionally fail to start.
The lawn mower engines made by Briggs & Stratton also need regular maintenance, which is something else you should be aware of. Thus, you must run your lawn mower carefully if you want it to last for many years. However, many DIY repairs are simple to complete.
Honda’s Lawn Mower Engines:
Soichiro Honda and Takeo Fujisawa formed the Japanese giant The Honda Motor Company. Honda Power Equipment Mfg. is their small engines section. In August 1978, Honda released a walk-behind lawn mower in foreign markets, including the United States.
The product had a vertical engine, making it a first of its sort for Honda. This kind of engine has a type of incredible properties in a single unit, such as rapid starting and quiet operation.
One thing to note is that all Honda models can be sued to cut grass on muddy slopes without problems. The Briggs and Stratton Honda debate has gone on for years, so with the above, you can compare Briggs against Honda mowers features. (Read What Temperature Is Too Hot To Water Grass)
Top Honda Mower Engines
- Among the best lawn mower engines produced.
- Overhead valve (OHV) design, which aids in improving combustion efficiency.
- Features a solid power-to-displacement ratio and lightweight overhead camshaft.
- Includes an easy-to-grip soft recoil starting handle and an automatic decompression mechanism.
- It is made of high-quality components that contribute to its dependability and product.
- It has low oil/fuel usage and vibration reduction as further distinguishing characteristics.
GX340 4-stroke engine
- This engine is regarded by Honda as one of the best in the business, as Honda are masters at engine building.
- The Honda GX340 engine has a digital CDI ignition system with variable timing for excellent output and fuel efficiency.
- Additionally, it incorporates an overhead valve, which is essential for maximizing power transfer and increasing efficiency.
- The Honda GX340 also has smooth running and less vibration thanks to its precision component engineering.
- The engine also includes a superior camshaft, sophisticated cooling, and a huge capacity, multi-chamber exhaust system. Thanks to all of these characteristics, the engine is incredibly quiet when running.
- Given its high-quality components and the abundance of other fantastic features, this lawn mower engine is fairly dependable.
- One of them is the engine’s simplicity of starting, which is made possible by the heavy-duty recoil starter and automatic mechanical decompression system that comes with it.
- Due to the engine’s ball-bearing supported crankshaft and a few other precision parts, the Honda GXV350 offers excellent and smooth performance.
- The engine also features an OHV design and resin camshaft in some models, which is used to give the best power transmission and increased efficiency for commercial lawnmowers and larger engines.
Advantages of Honda’s Mower Engines
Honda’s lawnmower engines have several advantages. The business uses motorcycle and car engine knowledge to build lawnmower engines.
- All Honda lawn mower engine models include an automated mechanical decompression system.
- Honda GC and GS have a compact combustion chamber, OVH design, and uniblock construction. These features improve engine reliability.
- GX, V-twin, and iGX series have variable timing digital CDI ignition. It helps engines start quicker. High power and better fuel efficiency are further benefits.
- The Honda V-twin engine has a combined cylinder and head. The former improves fuel efficiency and output. It improves the V-twin engine combination and reliability.
Honda’s Lawn Mower Engine Downsides
You can’t just choose Honda based on a name, as all equipment comes with strengths and weaknesses. Honda engines for a lawnmower are more expensive. However, given the engines are built with premium materials and distinctive features, it is expected.
Honda lawn mower engines require routine maintenance is another disadvantage.
Honda vs. Briggs and Stratton vs. Kawasaki vs. Kohler
There are other manufacturers, so it is wise to add these into the equation.
Here’s a breakdown of these engine manufacturers.
Honda’s engines are known for durability. A Honda lawn mower will last over ten years if properly maintained. For Briggs and Stratton, it’s pretty much the same. Briggs and Stratton’s engines can last 8 to 10 years with proper care, and a bigger mower lasting longer than a smaller one.
Kawasaki engine can last 3000 hours, and some last for up to 10 years with proper maintenance.
The Kohler engine may run 2000 to 3000 hours without issue over 10 years.
- Honda’s lawnmower range features high-quality engines. The Honda HRN 166-cc has the best engine, the fastest quick self-propulsion, and the largest trash bag.
- Honda and Briggs and Stratton cut identically from tall grass to fine clippings.
- Kawasaki commercially outperforms Kohler.
- Kohler is best for domestic use.
Consider the warranty when buying a small engine mower. Honda’s push mower has a 3-year warranty, whereas Briggs & Stratton and Kohler offer two years.
Residential Kohler engine warranties are more extended than commercial or rental warranties. Kohler doesn’t cover damage from accidents, negligence, or defective repairs. Kawasaki engines come with a 36-month limited warranty like Honda.
In terms of warranty, you might prefer both Honda and Kawasaki engines over other mowers. (Learn How To Get Rid Of Mushrooms In Yard)
Honda Mower Engine or Briggs & Stratton Lawn Mowers?
The answer is pretty straightforward and relies on your budget and needs. Honda Vs. Briggs and Stratton are both industry giants whose lawn mower engines are high-performing and reliable.
If you want to save money on a high-performance mower engine, choose Briggs & Stratton. If you can afford a Honda engine and have it properly maintained, then choose the other as they can last longer.